SWIMMING WITH CONTACT LENSES
While contact lenses are perfect for an active lifestyle, it is important to avoid swimming with your contact lenses as it is not advised to expose your contact lenses to water. This is true for water sports and swimming but also everyday contact with water such as showering, bathing and using a hot tub.
WHY YOU SHOULDN’T SWIM WITH CONTACT LENSES
Exposing your contact lenses to water increases the risk of infection from naturally occurring bacteria. Water contains microorganisms that can normally be harmless to humans, however, in very rare instances they can attach to your contact lenses and remain on the surface potentially leading to serious eye conditions which can cause the cornea to become infected. Symptoms can include inflammation, redness, pain, light sensitivity and watering of the eye, and if left untreated it can even lead to vision loss.
Keeping your eyes healthy with your contact lenses where water is concerned is easy.
Just follow these simple steps;
- Remove contact lenses before engaging with any activity involving water.
- Ensure you wash and dry your hands properly prior to handling your lenses.
- Never use tap water to rinse your contact lenses or contact lens case. Always use the disinfecting solution advised by your eyecare professional.
- Remember to change your case regularly in line with instructions accompanying your disinfecting solutions.
- If wearing reusable lenses ensure you clean them properly in accordance to the manufacturer’s instructions and always store your lenses in fresh solution.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET WATER ON YOUR CONTACT LENSES
Take your lenses off as soon as possible to reduce the risk of irritation and infection.
Replace your contact lenses with a new pair.
If you regularly enjoy water sports, speak to your optician.
GET STARTED WITH CONTACT LENSES
†Please note professional eye examination and fitting fees may apply. GCC residents 18 or over only. One trial per person. Eligibility subject to optician approval. Participating opticians only. See link for full terms and conditions.